Thursday, December 20, 2018

Prescience?


The other day I used my credit card and the clerk presented me with a receipt on a tablet device. When I asked what to sign it with--expecting a stylus--I was told to use my finger. (I did; this is not productive of calligraphy or even legibility). Afterwards I reflected on one of the many famous lines from Fitzgerald’s rendition of Omar Khayyam: “The moving finger writes, and, having writ, moves on…”. About 150 years after he wrote it, this has now become literally true. Did the 19th-Century poet envision the touchpad?
-------------------------------
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all! And remember, as you plan your reading for 2019, that my six books--details of which are available here--would provide you with many hours of delight. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment